I moved the barrelponics from against the house to the edge of the patio by the exterior electrical outlet.
This is where it will stay for a while.
I put some vegetables in to start the cycle. I planted a lot of different seeds with the thought that the ones I stuck in would work on the water till the new ones started.
This is a picture of the drain pipe draining the water in the drain cycle. I pumped the water from the fish pond on the patio, because the goldfish were doing fine in it. It has a lot of algae growing in it, so I will see if the roots will clean the water.
This is a picture of the bell siphon with the bell part removed. you can see the water level at the bottom of the grow bed. In the top right you can see the water being pumped into the bed.
This shows the water flowing over the top of the drain pipe and the bell lying on the edge. You can see a notch cut in the bottom end of the bell to allow the water to flow into the bell and up the pipe and into the drain. This flushing action starts as soon as I place the bell over the drain pipe. The small 1" piece of 1/2" pipe glued to the top of the bell is just so I can get hold of it when it is in the sleeve. The sleeve is 3" PVC with holes in the side of it for the water to flow through without the clay balls getting in and clogging the bell siphon. I will be interested in seeing how reliable it is.
This blurry picture is of the drain pipe after the flush. You hear it burp when it sucks air back up to the bell and brakes the flow.
The last picture is the water at the top and overflowing into the drain. It shows that at the full level the water is almost to the top of the grow bed. When it flushes, it draws oxygen into the grow bed as the water is siphoned off. This prevents the plants form developing any rot. It takes about 4 minutes for a complete cycle.